Saturday, May 26, 2018

Quote from President Heber J. Grant (keeping a journal)

Heber J. Grant was a faithful "keeper of journals" and left behind a valuable record of his life's experiences.
On January 9, 1884, Heber wrote:
I sometimes feel almost like stopping the writing of a journal as my grammar is so poor, also my spelling, that I dislike to leave any such a record as I have to make under the circumstances; but I am of the opinion that it is almost a matter of duty that I keep a journal and this is the main reason that I am willing to do so.  I would be willing to pay any reasonable amount of money for a record of father's life; but he never recorded any of his acts and there is today nothing worthy of mention on record regarding him.

Historical note: Heber was born 9 days before the death of his father and raised as an only child by his widowed mother.  The longevity of Heber's life, spanning the period between covered wagons and television, emerges as a fascinating study of a great man.

No comments:

Post a Comment