Sunday, May 13, 2018

lesson 2: Mother

What comes to your mind when you hear the word "mother"?
What do you picture?
Do you think of: an event? a tradition? a favorite saying? a smell coming out of the oven? a characteristic?
These are the moments of motherhood that need to be captured before the memory fades away.
Your recollections of your mother will be different from those of your siblings, your father, or grandparents.  I see the vibrant woman of my youth not the frail great-grandma that my kids know.

Family search has made it easy to capture these moments for future generations to enjoy.
Knowing that we don't always carry around a computer, camera or tape recorder, they have made these features available on what you will probably have with you when you need it: your cell phone.
How many of you have the memories app downloaded onto your phone?
It is easy to get if you don't have it.

1. go to the apps store
2. type in “lds memories”
3. “get” the FamilySearch-Memories app (green square with white tree) for free!

Let's learn how to use it.

Click on the icon.  This will take you to your tree and the memories you've added.
Across the top of the screen are little pictures that represent photos, stories, documents, and audio recordings.  You can group these memories however you like in albums at the bottom of the page.  (I've done my according to family name)
To upload a memory to family tree, just press the green plus button in the lower right corner.  Select if you want to add a document, write a story, record audio or add a photo.
If I press photo, for example, it will let me take a picture on my phone or upload a photo I have already taken.
If I want to make an audio recording, it will give some suggested topics.  You can ignore those and just begin recording by pressing the green button.  You can pause the recording if necessary.  Try to keep the recording under 5 minutes - 15 max.  A little timer will keep track for you of how much time you have used.
You can give your memories a title.
They will be stored in your gallery where you can attach them to a person.
You can attach a thousand memories to each person.  Even I have not reached maximum capacity!

Since today is Mother's Day, we are going to pay tribute to mother's everywhere.  You are going to upload a memory.  It doesn't have to be about your mother.  It could be about your grandmother or great-grandmother.  It could be about your wife or someone you knew who wasn't related to you but was a mothering influence in your life.

Before we start, I'm going to show you a movie about how a mother's influence affected generations.  This is a true story about my great-grandma.  It was filmed a few years ago by Julia and you will probably recognize the actors.  It's called Recipe for Success.

I hope that sparked some ideas for something you could write about.  This is not an English assignment.  It will not be graded.  You are saving a memory so that future generations will get to know the person you are writing about.  My assistants and I will be around the room to help you get started.
Ready.  Set. Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment