Monday, January 8, 2018

Aw, Nuts!



While her mother was busy making soup on the stove for Sunday dinner, 20-month-old Amy opened a jar of peanut butter which she then proceeded to spread ... all over her face, her chest and stomach. In fact, her hands were covered in it up to her elbows. When discovered, Amy licked her lips and said, "Mmmmm." Her one-year-older sister Claire reprimanded her, and before I knew it, Amy was pointing her finger too and repeating, "No, no, no, no, NO!"
Four years later, we submitted this candid photo to Macey's "Dirtiest Kid" contest. Amy was relieved to not win that contest - she was the second dirtiest kid, behind the boy with a pet pig! (So we didn't win the washer and dryer, but we got some Tide detergent and Bounce dryer sheets ... just in case Amy decides to consume another jar of peanut butter.)

Your session confirmation number is 153034.

Note: Family life isn't planned - it just happens. Fortunate are the times when you are able to make a memory - through a photo or a story - to relive in the years to come. Even those moments of frustration can seem humorous ... if enough time passes. I like this candid shot because it captures her eyes of innocence. She didn't mean to make a mess. She didn't think she was being naughty. She thought it tasted delicious! Sometimes I have to step back out of parent-mode to see a situation through the eyes of a child. The time it takes to grab my camera and shoot a photo is usually long enough for me to calm down and not react hysterically to whatever the child has done. So capturing family history on film has not only preserved the moment - often it has preserved the child as well!

About the photographer: I am the mother of 9 children, so there is never a dull moment at our house. I decided long ago that I could either get mad when the children made a mess, or I could take a picture. I have filled many photo albums with pictures. -- Linnea Cardon

No comments:

Post a Comment