Saturday, March 11, 2017

Uncovering the mystery of your family history

Have you ever wondered what the pioneers thought as they were crossing the plains?  Or how an ancestor coped with burying their young child?  They were so busy living, few took the time to write about what was happening in their lives.
The same could be said about many of us today.
Within a few generations everything about you will be forgotten if it is not written down.
Start with a story.  It doesn't have to be a novel.  It can be the memory of a moment.

For example:
My mother was visiting one weekend.  We were talking about my great-grandmother Bessie when my mom mentioned that Bessie had told her whenever she thought about God, she thought of her grandfather Bittner - a soft-spoken man, tall and dignified with a grey beard.  
Now I have never seen a picture of Charles Bittner, but I can picture him in my mind thanks to her description.

No comments:

Post a Comment