Sunday, March 12, 2017

Lesson 1: Start with Stories (My family booklet)

Many Church members don’t know how to get started with their family history.

In the old days, we began by filling out a 4-generation pedigree.  Names and dates.  Very boring.

Times have changed.

video: Family Search: photos and stories (1:18) about the red-head

Thanks to technology, we can share information with people we've never even met before!

So where do you begin?  Start with stories.

Starting with stories can help turn your hearts to your ancestors and can help you care about them enough to receive temple ordinances on their behalf. It is important to record stories and preserve photos so that other family members can be touched and brought closer to their ancestors.

Question: How can stories help members turn their hearts to their ancestors?
Stories provide a way to connect to an ancestor, regardless of your age. All members of a family can learn from and connect to ancestors through stories about them.
I was reading through some stories that had been placed on family search when I came upon a story told by my great-grandma:
I learned to bake pies when I was really young. My first attempt at making a pie was over at my cousin Maud Bittner's house. (Uncle Ben had a restaurant when we had a restaurant.) I wasn't prepared to make pies, but Aunt Bessie asked me to make a pie. And I said, "I know how to make a pie." My mom always knew how to make good pies, so I tried, but you know, they weren't any good. My first pies were a flop -- they were really terrible! Uncle Ben said he'd never tasted worse pies. That hurt my dignity! I told my mom that I had made some pies over at Maud's and concluded with, "I knew I wouldn't make good pies." My mom responded with, "Why don't you show them you can bake good pies?" So I did. As soon as I could make a good pie, I didn't hesitate to take one over. I handed a pie to Uncle Ben. "You said I make the worse pies. I'll bet you these aren't the worse pies." Uncle Ben was all apologizing because he didn't know I had heard him say that. But that was only a small incident.
Perhaps it was only a small incident to Bessie, but it inspired a video that Julia made for the Reflections' contest "What Is Your Story?" 
show Julia's video Recipe for Success - grandma's first attempt to make a pie

Discussion Question: What stories do you remember about an ancestor? How do stories make you feel? Hearing a story about someone makes you feel closer to that person; it helps you care a little more about him or her.

Introduce My Family: Stories that Bring us Together
Notice how the booklet is organized to record stories and basic information for four generations.  You can buy a hard copy for 50 cents from Deseret Book or access it online at familysearch.org. (demo)
Sign in.  click family booklet.
Allow class members time to start filling it out.

Make sure everyone has a familysearch username and password.  Set it up if needed.

[Question: When would you use the booklet, and when would you have others add their photos and stories directly to FamilySearch.org? 
A member’s level of experience with computers or with family history will help you determine whether to use the booklet or just use the computer. You may want to use the booklet with those who are new to family history, who are not comfortable in using a computer, or who do not have access to a computer.]

Example: My daughter Rebecca, who is serving a mission in New Mexico Farmington made a booklet to put on display at the church booth during Navajo Nation.  She spent many hours making it look "amazing!"  The sad part is that someone walked off with her book!  I recommend having both a physical copy to hold in your hands and an online backup.

Review:
Start with stories, photos, and talking with your family.

Assignment - Do the following:
* write 1 story this week (today, if possible, before your head hits the pillow)

Fill out the booklet My Family: Stories That Bring Us Together as much as you can (optional)
Note: the photo size for the My Family: Stories that Bring Us Together booklet is 1 1/2 in x 2 in

 Add any new information, photos, and stories to FamilySearch.org (optional)


No comments:

Post a Comment