Tuesday, March 22, 2022

pruning your family tree (duplicates & merging)

 illustrate how this is to be done (live):

pull up Mary Jean Alagy (LFZT-4MS)

Notice she has two husbands named Stanley B Tofil, one living, one dead.

Steps to merge:

kill off the living spouse (mark as deceased)

can copy his ID number and merge (or it may pop up as a possible duplicate)

save all photos and info into remaining person on the right.

give a reason why. Merge. Done.


Another good way to discover duplicates is by attaching records. 

Let's look at James Arthur Parson (GW1G-VVT)

Under research help I see Ohio deaths. Clicking on the link I see a daughter Mary died at age 0. I do not have Mary listed as a child. I want to add her, but when I try, I see that the record is already attached to someone else.  I can get her on my tree by merging her parents with mine. 

Let's take GZTG-13H (the James A Parson the record is attached to) and merge with mine. Now do the same with Bessie Airgood.  That should put Mary under the children for that couple.


No comments:

Post a Comment