Saturday, February 10, 2018

Bridges and Eternal Keepsakes

Elder Dennis B. Neuenschwander, of the Seventy
Ensign, May 1999, 83
“Genealogies, family stories, historical accounts, and traditions...form a bridge between past and future and bind generations together in ways that no other keepsake can.”
Every family has keepsakes. Families collect furniture, books, porcelain, and other valuable things, then pass them on to their posterity. Such beautiful keepsakes remind us of loved ones now gone and turn our minds to loved ones unborn. They form a bridge between family past and family future.
Every family has other, more valuable, keepsakes. These include genealogies, family stories, historical accounts, and traditions. These eternal keepsakes also form a bridge between past and future and bind generations together in ways that no other keepsake can.
I would like to share a few thoughts about family history, bridges, and eternal keepsakes.
Family history builds bridges between the generations of our families. Bridges between generations are not built by accident. Each member of this Church has the personal responsibility to be an eternal architect of this bridge for his or her own family. At one of our family gatherings this past Christmas, I watched my father, who is 89 years old, and our oldest grandchild, Ashlin, who is four and a half. They enjoyed being together. This was a bittersweet moment of realization for me. Though Ashlin will retain pleasant but fleeting memories of my father, he will have no memory of my mother, who passed away before his birth. Not one of my children has any recollection of my grandparents. If I want my children and grandchildren to know those who still live in my memory, then I must build the bridge between them. I alone am the link to the generations that stand on either side of me. It is my responsibility to knit their hearts together through love and respect, even though they may never have known each other personally. My grandchildren will have no knowledge of their family’s history if I do nothing to preserve it for them. That which I do not in some way record will be lost at my death, and that which I do not pass on to my posterity, they will never have. The work of gathering and sharing eternal family keepsakes is a personal responsibility. It cannot be passed off or given to another.
A life that is not documented is a life that within a generation or two will largely be lost to memory. What a tragedy this can be in the history of a family. Knowledge of our ancestors shapes us and instills within us values that give direction and meaning to our lives. Some years ago, I met the director of a Russian Orthodox monastery. He showed me volumes of his own extensive family research. He told me that one of the values, perhaps even the main value, of genealogy is the establishment of family tradition and the passing of these traditions on to younger generations. “Knowledge of these traditions and family history,” he said, “welds generations together.” Further, he told me: “If one knows he comes from honest ancestors, he is duty and honor bound to be honest. One cannot be dishonest without letting each member of his family down.”

It is my desire that each of us will recognize the great keepsakes we have received from those who preceded us and our own personal responsibility to pass them on to future generations.”

2 comments:

  1. ACTIVITY 1: After reading Bridges and Eternal Keepsakes, bring out family heirlooms that have been passed down to you and explain their significance to the children.
    ACTIVITY 2. Build bridges to your posterity by recording the events of your life and writing words of encouragement to them. Enclose photographs of your family. Seal them in a time capsule.
    ACTIVITY 3. Write your own life story… a chapter at a time. What have you learned in life that you’d want to pass on to your posterity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. “My dear and beloved godfather and my dear uncles and aunts, I beg you to never forget me because I think of you always. ... I haven’t had the joy to know you but I look at your portraits and I would like to be able to talk to you in person. Dear family and friends, I greet you from the bottom of my heart. For life.
    Your niece Marie Rivor widow Gonet.
    I close this letter with the tears that wet this page and beg you to not forget me.”
    (Anne’s oldest daughter, Marie, Italy)
    This passage is made even more poignant when you realize that Marie only had one child who lived to maturity. Her son, Jean Michel Gonnet, married but had no children. Marie had two more Gonnet children, Jacques who died at age 1 and Marie Alice who died at age 4. Then her husband died. She remarried and had a son Alberto who died at age 3 and her second husband died, too. Marie married a third time and was widowed again. She died in Italy in 1931 at age 80. Her greatest desire, since infancy, was to one day join the Cardons in America. She was Father Philippe and Mother Marie’s first grandchild, whom they last saw at age 3 as they left for Utah.

    ReplyDelete