Thursday, November 23, 2017

how attaching records can solve mysteries

Case Study:

Attaching records can not only help you correct information, but it can help you discover information.

While attaching a 1930 census to the Yearwood family it was noted that a grandson, Carl A Pace, was living with them.  Since only one daughter was listed with the last name Pace, I took Mildred to be his mother.

Wanting to discover more information about Carl, I searched until I found his obituary.  His mother was listed as Kyra, not Mildred, and his father's name was given as O.G. "Shorty" Pace.

I went back to that 1930 census.  Sure enough, Kyra was listed as married, but her last name was her maiden name.  However, Carl was listed directly under her name not her sister's.  Could the census taker have made a mistake? 

 What did the O and G stand for?  Is there any way I could prove whom Pace had married?  Searching for a marriage license proved futile.  But then I found what I needed in the most unlikely of places:  a 1939 city directory for Mt Vernon listed Pace Oral G "Shorty" (Kyra) and gave their address.






No comments:

Post a Comment